Ebeling & Associates Literary Agency represents the gamut of creative and commercial non-fiction. We do not represent original poetry, fiction or children’s literature.
As a busy literary agency, we ask for professionalism in your query and proposal. Please do not submit incomplete or unedited material; double check for typos.
For individuals seeking literary representation we require the following, which we accept via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and in Microsoft Word document or PDF format.
- In the email subject line, write “Inquiry for Author Representation.”
- In the body of the email write a brief statement (200 words or less) stating the purpose and premise of your book. We like to refer to this as your “elevator speech.”
- Provide your contact information.
- Attach in a Microsoft Word document a full professional competitive proposal (see “Helpful Books and Links” for resources on writing a proposal). The proposal must include the following:
- A one to two-page description of your book, focusing on what is distinctive, original and marketable about your project. Do not summarize the book’s content.
- A succinct analysis of the major competition for your work that notes how your book differs from others that may already be on the market.
- A brief biography of yourself that focuses on your qualifications for writing the book. Include the titles and publishing histories (i.e. name of publisher, date of publication, number of copies sold, etc.) of any other previous books or articles.
- A book marketing and promotion plan. List your speaking and media schedule, significant e-mail lists, any sales channels through corporate affiliations, etc.
- The most significant aspects of your platform. Please list public speaking history including keynote presentations, workshops, and seminars. Have you appeared on radio or TV? Do you have a Web site?
- A table of contents briefly describing each chapter plus the estimated length of the completed manuscript.
- The introduction and 1-2 sample chapters. Do not submit “excerpts.”
- The current status of the manuscript. Is it finished and if not, when do you anticipate its completion?
- Any other relevant information such as has this work been seen by other publishers and if so, who? And are you working with or have contracts with other agents.
Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.
English usage is sometimes more than mere taste, judgment and education – sometimes it’s sheer luck, like getting across the street.
The agency accepts queries and proposals by email only.
We will respond to you by email usually within 6-8 weeks of the receipt of your query. Please note that we are unable to make comments on manuscripts that are returned or not accepted. We do not make recommendations for other agents.