Publishing Class Descriptions
Book Publishing 101:
How to Become a Successful Published Non-Fiction Author
Have you ever thought of becoming a published author? Not sure how to go about it? In this introductory non-fiction publishing seminar, you’ll learn all about the publishing industry and how to get your book published from seasoned literary agents. You will discover:
- How the publishing industry works, who the key players are and what steps you need to take to get published
- What a literary agent does and how to get an offer of representation
- Insiders’ view of how publishers think and what they want
- The purpose of a query and book proposal and how to get started in writing a proposal that gets results
- What a platform is and why you need one
- Self-publishing versus traditional publishing: what your best option is and why
- How publishing is changing and implications for emerging authors ……….. and more
Join agents Michael Ebeling and Kristina Holmes from Ebeling & Associates Literary Agency, a non-fiction agency that has secured six figure deals with major publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin Books, Random House, Hay House, McGraw-Hill, and John Wiley & Sons. We promise a lively discussion that will empower you to become a published author! Following the lecture, we’ll give you the opportunity to ask your own questions during a live Q & A session. It’s rare to meet literary agents face-to-face, so don’t miss out. We’re looking forward to seeing you at the event!
This class is being offered on March 31st, 2010, 6:30-9 pm. The cost is $75 and you must sign up in advance. Space is limited, so early registration is advised. West End Plaza, 1035 Pearl Street, Boulder CO.
What It Is and Why You Need One Now
Have you been turned down by literary agents because you don’t have a large enough “platform?” Are you confused about exactly what that means? Or perhaps you understand this industry buzzword, but don’t have a clear idea of how to develop your own? In this fun, informative seminar, you’ll get the facts on:
- what an author “platform” is and how it relates to book marketing
- How your platform can help you as an author: in securing a book contract with a publisher, as the foundation to effectively market and promote your book, and as the gateway to greater career opportunities
- How to begin establishing your platform: publicity, speaking engagements, web presence, social media networks, grassroots publicity, and more…..
- How to know when your platform is strong enough to attract literary agents and publishers
- How publishers’ lack of publicity support can empower you to develop the initiative to not only become a published author, but a wildly successful author with multiple revenue streams
With so much competition for reader’s attention, you must have a strong platform to achieve solid book sales, whether you’re a traditionally published, or self-published author. As agents that have worked to develop authors’ careers from the ground up, we know what it takes to develop a platform. We will help you evaluate whether you’re up to the challenge, and if you are, give you meaningful guidance, whether you’re just starting out or already on your way to becoming publicly recognized. This seminar is appropriate for aspiring and published authors focused on developing a career as an author.
Join agents Michael Ebeling and Kristina Holmes from Ebeling & Associates Literary Agency, a non-fiction agency that has secured six figure deals with major publishers such as Simon & Schuster, Penguin Books, Random House, Hay House, McGraw-Hill, and John Wiley & Sons. Unlike many agents that apprenticed under established literary agents or transferred from publishing companies, we learned how the business of literary representation from managing authors’ careers one-on-one. We’ve been “in the trenches” with our authors to build their platform and understand the various challenges authors face, from the initial stages of platform development to the point of having their own national television show. Following the lecture, we’ll give you the opportunity to ask your own questions during a live Q & A session. It’s rare to meet agents face-to-face, so don’t miss out. We’re looking forward to seeing you at the event!
This class is scheduled for April 1st 2010 from 6:30-9 pm. The cost is $85 and you must sign up in advance. Space is limited, so early registration is advised. West End Plaza, 1035 Pearl Street, Boulder CO.
Non-fiction Book Proposal Workshop:
From Slush Pile to Sale: How to Create a Publishing-Worthy Proposal
Does thinking about your non-fiction book concept keep you up at night? Do you daydream about getting published, but you’re confused about how to get the attention of literary agents and publishers?
A powerfully written book proposal not only conveys your book concept, but speaks to publishers’ financial sensibilities. The proposal acts as a business plan to publishers, giving them exactly what they need to know to feel confident investing tens, or hundreds, of thousands of dollars into your book.
Literary agents and publishers see thousands of projects every year, and are quick to toss proposals in the slush pile if they are not immediately compelling.
In this class, you will learn:
– how to tell whether there is an audience for your book
– the various elements that go into a book proposal, and how to strengthen your position throughout
– what a platform is, why you need one, and how to most effectively position your current platform in the proposal
– how to minimize potential weaknesses in the proposal and draw attention to your best assets
– tips for writing a great query letter
– how the publishing industry works and what to do with your new proposal
WHEN: 6 weeks, Tuesday evenings 6 pm – 8:00 pm Pacific Standard Time
WHERE: Teleconference call (toll-free nationwide), details forthcoming upon sign-up
Kristina Holmes is a non-fiction literary agent with The Ebeling Agency. Published by major publishing companies such as Random House, Simon & Schuster, Penguin, Palgrave Macmillan, HCI, and Hay House, and her authors have appeared in virtually every major media outlet including CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, Good Morning America, ABC News, MSNBC, NPR, The New York Times, Forbes, O Magazine, and BusinessWeek.
In the event that you cannot pay with PayPal, please email us to inquire about alternative payment methods.